Like many new parents, I was very concerned about choosing the right pediatrician for my daughter. So I surveyed my family and friends and complied this list of helpful questions:
Questions about the baby’s care in the hospital:
· Do they have privileges at the hospital I am delivering at?
· If so, which doctor will visit? When?
· If not, what is the procedure for transferring information and records to the practice?
· What is the timing for the first visit after the hospital?
General questions about the practice:
· Do they have board certification in pediatrics? What are there credentials?
· How many years are they in practice?
· Where are their hospital privileges?
· What distinguishes their practice from other pediatric groups?
· What are the office hours?
· What is the procedure for after hours’ questions?
· Do they have a question line?
· Will we be seeing the pediatrician or nurse practitioner for routine visits?
· Is it possible to see the same pediatrician routinely for well child visits?
· What is the ability of getting seen in the same day?
· Do they have “well child and sick child” waiting room segregation?
· What are their antibiotics and immunization practices, preferences or theories?
· What are their views in regards to breastfeeding?
Question to ask if you have twins:
· Can both children be seen at the same time?
Questions to ask your insurance:
· Is the pediatrician I have chosen covered? Are the other pediatricians in the practice also covered?
· Is there a co-pay for well-visits or sick visits?