I thought I would start by posting some of the info I put together during my pregnancy so here is my Cesarean Birth Plan. I had a scheduled Cesarean becuase beutiful Becca insisted on remaining in the breech position despite my best efforts. This plan was created after doing a fair amount of research on what should be included.
I discussed this with my OB at my last appointment and brought it to the hospital with me. I found the nurses extremely responsive to my needs so I didn’t feel the need to bring it out while I was there.
I remember babycenter.com contained a lot of helpful information on this. I will also post my Vaginal Birth Plan as well.
Cesarean Birth Plan
This birth plan is intended to express the preferences and desires we have for the birth of our baby during our planned cesarean. It is not intended to be a script. We fully realize that situations may arise such that our plan cannot and should not be followed. However, we hope that barring any extenuating circumstances, you will be able to keep us informed and aware of our options. Thank you.
I would like ___________ to be with me throughout the entire procedure. If _______ is not available for any reason, I hope to have my friend xxxxx with me in his place for support. If in an emergency ________ is unavailable, please keep him informed on his cell phone xxxxx .
- I would like to remain awake during the procedure.
- I would prefer for my arms not to be strapped down/restrained so I can touch my baby.
- We would appreciate being kept informed during the surgery.
- If possible, please show us our baby briefly before taking him to be cleaned.
- ________ would like to cut the cord.
- ________ and I would like to hold our baby as soon as possible.
- ________ would like to take photographs and film when possible.
- If our baby is healthy, please allow ________ and our baby to stay with me while the operation is finished.
- Any pain medications should be compatible with breastfeeding please.
- I would like to be able to return to my room as quickly as possible after the operation.
- I would like to be able to breastfeed as soon as possible.
y partner present at all times during the operation
Post Partum and Baby Care
- I would like ________ to stay with the baby at all times if I can’t be there.
- Footprint- If possible I would appreciate a footprint of my baby be placed in my baby book,
- Breast feeding only – I would like to start as soon as I am able to and would appreciate any assistance/advice.
- Please do not feed our baby by other means without discussing this with either ________ or myself.
- Please do not offer a pacifier.
- Non-urgent procedures (such as first bath) – I request these to be delayed until after my return to the room.
- I would like to eat after the surgery if I am hungry – I have spoken to Dr ____________ about this.
- No visitors to be allowed to visit before my return from recovery.